Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What Motivates You?

What's your motivation?
By G. Baden
After graduating from college, I told myself that I would by the age of 25 I would be working in a good and stable company with good pay and good benefits. I also told myself that I would be driving my own car. I was 21 at that time. 

I thought it would be easy for me to achieve that since I graduated from one of the top universities in the Philippines. But I was wrong as I had a hard time finding a job with good pay. My first job paid me P15,000 but I only stayed a couple of months because I didn't like what I was doing. My next job paid me at just over P11,000 but it was increased to P14,000 after a year, I stayed there for more than a year and a half.

Despite all the setbacks I didn't abandon my dream, in fact it became stronger. I became even more motivated to achieve it, I don't know how but I always believed that I can achieve it. My next job offered some promise as I got a sales job that ha a commission scheme. But due to several problems within the company, the commission scheme experienced a lot of delays.

With barely 6 months left before my 25th birthday, I'm still far off my goal of a working in a good company with good pay and a car of my own. Achieving my dream now seems impossible, but I didn't let it get to me. I was still looking for a job in a good company with good pay.

Finally my perseverance paid off as I found a job in a good company with good pay and benefits 2 months after my 25th birthday. Then after 1 month, I was able to purchase my own car. After driving my car off the dealer, I suddenly realized that the goal that I set for myself after graduating from college was achieved.

Achieving my goal wasn't easy, especially with the challenges and setbacks that I faced. But because I was motivated to achieve it, I pressed on and didn't let the setbacks get to me.

Friends your motivation is what will drive you to achieve our goal regardless of the challenges and setbacks. Your motivation is your answer to why do you do what you do. But not all your answer to your whys can be considered your motivation.

A strong emotion needs to be attached to your why answer for it to become a motivation. Why? Because were human beings, our emotions are what fuels us. The emotion that fueled me to achieve my goal was anger. I was angry of not being able to buy what I want or do what I want because of the lack of money. So I was always aiming for a job that pays more for me to be able to do and buy what I want.

The goal of owning a car was also fueled by anger. I was sick and tired of always having long walks, waiting in long lines and experiencing smog every time I commute. I'm also sick and tired of always being at the mercy of public transportation drivers, consuming a lot of time by waiting for their vehicles to be filled up in terminal stations.

That anger is what fueled me to persevere and not give up on my goal.

If you want to achieve something ask yourself what's your motivation for achieving that goal, if you can't find any, search for one, so that achieving that goal will be easier for you to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment