Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Do You Believe In Luck?

Photo by Dan Queiroz
Do you believe in luck?

Do you believe that you are lucky or not?

I never believed in luck. I always think that you create your own results in life. You can't just rely in luck when it comes to business, project, exams. etc. That's why I'm always irritated whenever my mom does all of her so called "lucky rituals" during New Years Eve and Chinese New Year's Eve.

She says that there's nothing wrong with following it, who knows we might get lucky. Yeah I agree there's nothing wrong with it, I just feel it's a waste of time and energy. 

Apparently I was right about luck. Luck, as I have learned in one of Robert Kiyosaki's books, is just the offspring of preparedness and opportunity. It means that, people who you see as lucky for having a great opportunity come to them are not really lucky, they are just prepared to take advantage of it.

A person who is prepared he/she is just ready for the opportunity. By being ready he/she already has the knowledge and/or experience to see and take advantage of the opportunity that he/she sees. Being lucky just means that you're knowledgeable and experienced enough to spot an opportunity and know what to do with it.

I remember being presented with an opportunity for a business that I wasn't prepared enough to take advantage of. When my girlfriend was still working in a call center company, she saw an opportunity to open a food stand in the building she was working in.

She said that they have limited choices when it comes to food, especially at night. And some of the choice they have doesn't offer good tasting food. So she said that it's a good opportunity to put up a food stand and offer good tasting food.

I immediately saw the opportunity, I just lacked the knowledge and experience to take advantage of it. I was taking forever trying to come up with business to put up, until someone already took advantage of the opportunity. Now the building is bustling with small restaurants for people working their to choose from. Every time I pass by that building, I'm always reminded of the opportunity that I let get away because of my lack of preparedness.

So if you want to be lucky, just keep on learning. Especially in the business or career that you're into or planning to get into. So that you'll be able to spot and take advantage of any opportunity that comes your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment