Sunday, May 11, 2014

What Career To Choose

By Steve Nelson
Are you having a hard time choosing what career you should get into?

Or do you feel that the career you're in right now is not the one for you?

Friends, choosing a career is really a tough decision to make for most people. More often, people end up trying out a lot of careers before finally finding the one for them. Others are not as lucky to find the career that they want, while others still end up in career they didn't like at first but then realized that it's really the one that suit them the most. 

But there are some who already knows what they want to do in their life, do it, then end up being fulfilled and happy. Unfortunately I wasn't one of those lucky few.

My career choice began when I was about to graduate from high school. A lot of my relatives was telling me to get into a Nursing course as that is the best course to take if I want to earn a lot of money and work abroad. I didn't listen to them though because I have my own criteria for choosing what course to take. Yes money is an important consideration on choosing what career to take. After all why choose a course where you'd have a hard time in starting your career? But it's not my only consideration. I also considered the potential for growth, both personal and career wise, as a consideration. 

But my biggest consideration in choosing what career to take was if I would enjoy what I would be doing. I always believed that if you do what you love to do, then the money will follow. So I instead chose a course in AB Communications. I always wanted to be a news anchor and I believed that I would enjoy doing that. As soon as college began and I started taking classes about journalism, I started to realize that journalism is something that I wouldn't enjoy doing on a regular basis. I would enjoy it once in a while, but not to the extent where I could make a career out of it. So I had to change my direction.

Good thing AB Communication is a broad course so I had other options to consider. One option that caught my eye was to have a career in sports and feature writing, public relations and marketing communications. So I started attending classes in those areas. After graduating, I really considered going into sports journalism as I was a big fan of sports, so it's a career path that I would definitely enjoy. The only thing that held me back was because the pay was really small (Yes I know I said that enjoying what I do would be my biggest consideration, but you just can't ignore the money, especially if you realize you'd start paying for most of what you'll be spending).

I ended up choosing a career in public relations and marketing communications as the pay in those careers are higher. But it didn't pan out for me as well, as I again ended up changing careers. This time from being an employee to being an entrepreneur. I'm just beginning in my journey and so far I'm enjoying every moment of it. It may not be earning me much right now, but I believe if I just continue to build on this path and enjoy it along the way, money will soon follow.

Friends, there's really no easy way to choose what career you're going to take. Right now you might be inclined to a certain career, but you'll never know if in the future you'll still be in that career path as a lot of things can happen along the way. 

One advice I can give you is to just do what you love to do. Follow your heart and your intuition. Remember that if you do what you love to do, money and success will soon follow.

As Steve Jobs said "Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it."

No comments:

Post a Comment